Professor of Law, Union University Law School Belgrade
Research Associate, Central European University/CELAB, Budapest
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Constitutional Law
- EU Constitutional Law
- European Human Rights Law
- Medical Law and Bioethics
- Postdoc: 2012 -2013, NYU School of Law, USA
- S.J. D 2005, Central European University, Budapest (Comparative Constitutional Law)
- LL.M 1996, Central European University /USNY, New York(Comparative Constitutional Law)
- Cert. 1989- Bar Examination
- LL. B 1985 - Belgrade University School of Law
- English (fluent)
- Hungarian (fair)
- French (basic)
- Serbian, (native) &Montenegrin/Bosnian/Croatian
- Union University Law School, Belgrade: Professor of Law(tenure since 2011)
- Central European University/Center for Ethics and Law in Biomedicine (CELAB), Budapest: Research Associate, (2007 -)
- Constitutional Law (undergraduate mid-level course)
- EU Law (undergraduate upper-level course)
- Medical Law(undergraduate upper-level course)
- EU and Human Rights (graduate master-level course)
- European Court of Human Rights Jurisprudence (graduate master-level course, from 2010 co-teaching online course with the Washington and Lee University School of Law, USA)
- Constitutional Theory and European Constitutionalism (the course at doctoral program)
- International Criminal Law(undergraduate upper-level course, 2007-2017)
- Comparative Constitutional Law(graduate master-level course, 2008-2013).
- Law and Ethics in Biomedicine (graduate course, Specialized Studies in Medical Law, 2008-2013).
- Patients’ rights (graduate course, Specialized Studies in Medical Law, 2008-2013).
- Union University Law School, Belgrade:
Associate Professor of Law (2008 – 2011)
Vice-Dean of Academic Affairs/Head of the Postgraduate Studies(2007 – 2010)
- Central European University/Center for Human Rights, Budapest:
Research Coordinator(2005 – 2006)
- Embassy of Serbia and Montenegro, Budapest:
Head of the Consular Department, Counselor (2004-2005)
Counselor for Minority, Cultural and Media Affairs (2001-2003)
- Central European University, Budapest:
Research Assistant to Academic Pro-Rector for Public Policy Issues (2000-2001)
- Constitutional and Legal Policy Institute (Affiliated with OSI and Central European University): Staff Attorney/Senior Legal Officer (1995-2000) responsible forlaw reform initiatives in ex-Yugoslavia, criminal justice, anti-corruption, legal education, faculty training and judicial training programs.
- Federal Ministry of Justice (in former SFRY and FRY), Belgrade
Senior Legal Adviser for Criminal Law and Human Rights Affairs (1992-1994)
Legal Adviser for Criminal Law Affairs (1989- 1992)
Junior Legal Adviser (1987 -1989)
RESIDENTIAL FELLOWSHIPS, VISITING POSITIONS AND GRANTS
- NYU School of Law, New York, USA - Global Research Fellow, 2012-2013 (in residence during the Fall Semester)
- Fulbright Grant Award – Fulbright Scholar, 2012
- Central European University/Center for Ethics and Law in Biomedicine (CELAB), Budapest, Hungary - Research Fellow, 2006-2007
- T.M.C. ASSER Institute, The Hague, Netherlands - Visiting Fellow, 2000 (March)
- George Washington University Law School, Washington D.C., USA - Visiting Fellow, 1998 (March-April)
- Central European University - Scholarship Award for S.J.D. Studies (1997/1998)
- Brigham Young University Law School, Utah, USA –Visiting LL.M Student, 1995 (January-April)
- Fund for Open Society Institute, Belgrade - Scholarship Award for LL.M Studies (1994)
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND PUBLIC SERVICES
- European Public Law Organization, Member of the Board of Directors, (2007- )
- Pardon Committee (established by the President of the Republic of Serbia), Member (2008- 2012)
- Ombudsperson’s Council for Rights of the Persons Deprived of Liberty – Member (2009-2012)
- Institute for International Education, European Office – The Selection Committee for the Eurobank EFG Scholarship Award in Serbia - Member, (2009-2010)
- European Group of Public Law, Member (by invitation) (2009 -)
- Serbian Association for International Law – (2009-)
- Serbian Association for Constitutional Law, Memberof the Executive Board (2014 -)
- Serbian Association for Bioethics, Member, (2009 - )
- Cambridge Working Group for Bioethics Education in Serbia, Member (2013-)
- Center for Studies in Bioethics, Belgrade, Member (2014-)
- ASTRA, (anti-trafficking NGO), Member of the Board of Directors, 2017-
- Serbian Association for Legal and Social Philosophy, Member, (2016-)
- The Study on Case-Law of the European Court of Human Rights in Administrative Disputes.Regional School of Public Administration, ReSPA (financed by the EU). Lead Expert, (2017).
- Improving Competitiveness of Serbia in EU Accession Process, Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Serbia, no. 47028, (2011-). Pending.
- Observatory on Local Autonomy, University of Lille, France. A research study on decentralization, multi-level governance and the management of local government, (2015 – 2016).
- Balkans Against Trafficking Now II, EU and ASTRA. The analysis of national anti-trafficking legislative and policy frameworks in Serbia, (2016).
- Living Organ Donation in Europe (EULOD). European Commission, the Seventh Framework Program (FP7). Grant no. 242177. A member of the CEU CELAB Research Team, Work-Package No.3: Organ Trafficking and Tourism, (2010-2012).
- Global Ethics Observatory. UNESCO Database on Ethics Related Legislation and Guidelines. UNESCO. Legal Expert, (2011)
- Wheeling EU Enlargement. European Public Law Organization. AcademicCoordinator, (2011)
- Development of Public Administration and Management Studies in Serbia. TEMPUS, JP 144889-2008, (2009-2012).
- Promoting Human Rights of Terminally Ill Persons. EU Delegation in Serbia and NGO “Philanthropy”,(2010-2011).
- Comprehensive Regulatory Reform. The Government of the Republic of Serbia. Member of the Committee for Educational Reform, (2009).
- Euro-American Project - International Sessions Commemorating the 60th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human. Helsinki-España and Institute for International Education, Valencia and New York, (2008-2009).
- Developing Models of Implementation of UNESCO Bioethical Instruments. CEU CELAB and UNESCO. Grant no. 375423 08 HUN, (2008).
- Advance Directives: Towards a Coordinated European Perspective. Institute of Biomedical Ethics, University of Zurich and the European Science Foundation, (2008).
- Network for Combating Human Trafficking in Central and Southern Europe. The European Public Law, EU Phare/Cards and the Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs, (2006-2007).
- Comparative and Interdisciplinary Approaches on Reproductive Cloning and Stem Cell Research. Central European University, Center for Law and Ethics in Biomedicine, (2005-2007).
- Compatibility of Yugoslav Law with the European Convention on Human Rights. Member of the Working Team. Council of Europe, (2001-2002.).
SURVEY OF OTHER ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Visiting Lectures: Serbian Academy of Science and Art, SANU (2017);University of Lisbon (2016);University of Zurich (2014);Central European University, Budapest (2011);Inter-University Center Dubrovnik (2013, 2014, 2015, 2017), Croatia;University of Rijeka School of Law, Croatia (2007, 2010, 2012);University of Belgrade School of Law (2016, 2015);University of Nis Law School, Serbia (2014); Belgrade Center of Human Rights (2009, 2017).
- Constitutional Law Expert Witness in International Arbitration:Medusa (Montenegro) Limited (the UK) v. the State of Montenegro
- The President of the European Public Law Organization Thesis Prize Committee of 2017.
- Amicus Curiae before the Serbian Constitutional Court- the case concerning constitutionality of the Statute of the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina, 2012.
- Editorial Board Member of Central and Eastern European Legal Studies, a special series of European Review of Public Law; Editorial Board Member of Union University Law School Review (Pravni zapisi).
- A member of the Scientific Committee for the 3rd ELPAT Congress: Organ Transplantation: Ethical, Legal and Philosophical Aspects, Rotterdam, April 20-24, 2013.
- A member of the Organizational Committee of the Conference: 6th Bioethics Forum of the South-Eastern European Countries: Bioethics, Medicine and Politics. Belgrade, November 5-6, 2010.
- A Peer-Reviewer for The Annals of the Faculty of Law Belgrade/Belgrade Law Review;Legal Records (Pravni zapisi);University of Rijeka School of Law Review;JAHR, (Annual of the University of Rijeka, Medical School), Temidaand Engrami.
Books (In English)
- Public Law in Serbia: Twenty Years After, ed. (London, UK: European Public Law Organization & Esperia Publications Ltd, 2012).
- Euthanasia: Legal Principles and Policy Choices (Florence, Italy: European Press Academic Publishing, 2006).
- Rethinking Socio-Economic Rights in an Insecure World, co-editor with N. Udombana (Budapest, Hungary: CEU Center for Human Rights, 2006).
- Komentar Evropske konvecije za zaštitu ljudskih prava i osnovnih sloboda [Commentary on European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms], with D. Popović et. al. (Belgrade-Službeni glasnik, 2017).
- Monitoring i evaluacija zakonodavstva i politika suzbijanja trgovine ljudima i njihova implementacija u Republici Srbiji u 2014. i 201 godini [Monitoring and Evaluation of Anti-Trafficking Laws and Policies and their Implementation in the Republic of Serbia in 2014 and 2015], with I. Radović (Belgrade: ASTRA, 2016). Published also in English.
- Militantna demokratija - nekada i sada[Militant Democracy - Then and Now],ed. (Belgrade: Službeni glasnik & PFUUB, 2013).
- Međunarodno i transnacionalno krivično pravo [International and Transnational Criminal Law]co-author with V. Đ. Degan and B. Pavisic, (Belgrade: Službeni glasnik & PFUUB, 2011).
- Kompatibilnost jugoslovenskog prava sa odredbama Evropske konvencije o ljudskim pravima [Compatibility of Yugoslav Law with the European Convention on Human Rights] (Belgrade: Council of Europe Office, 2002), co-author with V. Rakic-Vodinelic, S. Gajin and O. Nikolic, pp. 32-117 and 129-179. (Published also in English as Council of Europe Report of 2002).
Contributions in WoS Indexed Journals
- “Governing Without Judges”: The Politics of the Constitutional Court in Serbia, (Article), International Journal of Constitutional Law (I-CON), Oxford University Press & NYU School of Law, vol. 12, no. 4, 2014, pp. 954-97
- EULOD:The EU-funded Project on Living Organ Donation in Europe, (Meeting Abstract), with F. Ambagtsheer et. al., Transplant International, Vol. 26, no. 2, 2013, pp. 139-140.
- End-Of-Life Care in XXI Century: Advance Directives in Universal Rights Discourse, (Article), Bioethics, The International Association of Bioethics, Wiley, Blackwell Publishing Ltd, Oxford, vol. 24, no. 3, 2010, pp. 105-112.
Articles & Book Chapters
- Making Sense of Political Question Doctrine: The Case of Kosovo,abstract published in: Courts, Power, Public Law, Program and Book of Abstracts, International Society of Public Law (ICON.S), Copenhagen, 2017, p. 182.
- Immigration and Integration by Adjudication in Europe: State Sovereignty under Challenge, with T. Papić, in: Tibor Varady (ed.), Migrantsin 21st Century Europe, Belgrade, Serbian Academy of Science and Art (SANU), 2017, pp. 101-133.
- From Sovereignty to Post-Sovereignty and Back: Some Reflections on Immigration and Citizenship Issues in the Perspective of Refuge ‘Crisis’, with T. Papić, in:Gérard Timsit and Spyridon Flogaitis(eds.),Rights Across Borders: Citizenship and Immigration in Europe, European Review of Public Law,EPLO, Athens, 2017, pp. 123-165.
- Troubles with European Public Sphere: What’s European Citizenship Got to Do with It?, in: G. Raulet , C. Doria (eds.), Questioning the European Public Sphere: An Historical and Methodological Approach, Brussels, Peter Lang, 2016, pp. 57-75.
- Mission (Im)Possible: Defending A Right to Die,in: Kenneth Himma, Bojan Spaić (eds.), Fundamental Rights: Justification and Interpretation, The Hague, Eleven Publishing International, 2016, pp. 149-177.
- New Challenges of Democracy in Serbia: Global Issues in Local Perspective, with A. Trbovic, in New Challenges of Democracy, European Review of Public Law, European Public Law Series, London: EPLO& Esperia Publications, 2015, pp. 435-481.
- Constitutional Review in a Democratic Deficit Setting: The Case of the European Union, in: Miodrag Jovanović (ed.), Constitutional Review and Democracy, The Hague, Eleven Publishing International, 2015, pp. 83-107.
- The Constitution in the European Union: The State of Affairs, in:A. Dupeyrix, G. Raulet (eds.), European Constitutionalism. Historical and Contemporary Perspectives, Brussels, Peter Lang, coll. "Euroclio", 2014, pp. 15-35.
- Organ Trafficking, Organ Trade. Recommendations for a more Nuanced Legal Policy, with J. Sandor et al., in:The EULOD Project: Living Organ Donation in Europe: Results and Recommendations, Ambagtsheer, F., Weimar, W. (eds.) (Lengerich, Germany: Pabst Science Publishers, 2013), pp. 147-174.
- A Short Guide to Militant Democracy: Some Remarks on the Strasbourg Jurisprudence, in European Yearbook of Human Rights 2012, Wolfgang Benedek, Florence Benoît-Rohmer, Wolfram Karl, Manfred Nowak, (eds.) (Vienna, Austria: NW Verlag, 2012) pp. 243-258.
- Transitional Constitutionalism in Serbia: Is the Glass Half-Full or Half-Empty? in Public Law in Serbia: Twenty Years After, V.Beširević, ed. (London, UK: European Public Law Organization & Esperia Publications Ltd, 2012) pp. 23-55.
- Introduction, in Public Law in Serbia: Twenty Years After, V.Beširević, ed. (London, UK: European Public Law Organization & Esperia Publications Ltd, 2012) pp. 15-19.
- Bioethics in Democracy: Transforming the Clash of Absolutes into Human Rights Issues, in Bioethik – Medizin – Politik/Bioethics - Medicine -Politics, Walter Schweidler, ed. (Sankt Augustin, Germany: Academia Verlag, 2012), pp. 79-89.
- Serbia in a “Europe of Rights”: The Effects of the Constitutional Dialogue between the Serbian and European Judges, with. T. Marinković, (2012) 1 European Review of Public Law / Revue Europeenne de Droit Public, vol.24, pp. 401- 430.
- Improving the Effectiveness of the Organ Trade Prohibition in Europe, with J. Sandor et al., in Living Organ Donation in Europe: Scientific Report, (2012), author of the chapters: 1.1, 1.2, 2.5, 3.5. and 4. available at http://www.eulod.org/Files/Eulod/Content_Files/kdayaEULOD%20WP3-2%20Final%20Report%20Improving%20the%20Effectiveness...pdf
- Constitutional Aspects of Serbia’s Accession into the EU, in Serbia and European Union, D. Dimitrijević, M. Antevski, eds. (Belgrade: Institute of International Politics and Economics, 2010) pp. 35-53.
- Is Reducing Poverty a Task of Constitutional Courts?, (2010) 1 Strani pravni život (Institute for Comparative Law, Belgrade), pp. 31-58.
- From Nuremberg to UNESCO: Informed Consent To Medical Treatment Or Exam, Meeting abstract,(2010) 1 JAHR, no. 1 (University of Rijeka, Medical School), p. 125.
- Unlocking Human Cloning: Does Constitution Help?in Perfect Copy? Law and Ethics of Reproductive Medicine, J. Sándor, ed. (Budapest: CEU Center for Ethics and Law in Biomedicine, 2009), pp. 97-116.
- Dancing with Judiciary: What Went Wrong with Judicial Reform in Serbia?,(2009) 2 European Review of Public Law / Revue Europeenne de Droit Public, vol.21. no. 4, pp. 1551-1576.
- Administration without Frontiers: Serbian Migration Law and Policy from the European Perspectives, co-author with A. Čavoški, (2009) European Review of Public Law / Revue Europeenne de Droit Public, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 461-503.
- The Rocky Waters of Decentralization in Serbia: The Case of Vojvodina, (2008) European Review of Public Law / Revue Europeenne de Droit Public, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 1489-1513.
- The Discourses of Autonomy in International Human Rights Law: Has the Age of a Right to Die Arrived?(2008) Cuadernos Constitucionales de la Cátedra Fadrique Furió Ceriol(University of Valencia, Constitutional Law and Political Science Department), no. 62/63, pp. 19-
- Basic Norms of Bioethics: Informed Consent in UNESCO Bioethics Declarations, (2008),The Annals of the Faculty of Law Belgrade -Belgrade Law Review, vol. III, pp. 257-265.
- HERA: Network for Combating Human Trafficking in Central and Southern Europe, coauthor, G. Timsit, S. Flogaitis, (eds.) (London: Esperia Publications Ltd, 2008), European Public Law Series / Bibliotheque de Droit Public Europeen, vol. XCI, pp. 555-693.
- Medical Global Challenges: Should International Law Enforce Euthanasia?Abstract published in: 9th World Congress of Bioethics: The Challenge of Cross-Cultural Bioethics in the 21st Century, Book of Abstracts, (Rijeka, Croatia: International Association of Bioethics, University of Rijeka, School of Medicine, Croatian Society for Clinical Bioethics, 2008) pp. 210- 211.
- Country Reports on Advanced Directives: Serbia,in Advance Directives: Towards a Coordinated European Perspective? Book of Abstracts, (Zurich: Institute of Biomedical Ethics, University of Zurich, European Science Foundation, 2008) pp. 75- 78.
- The Chronicle of Constitutional Law and Jurisprudence: Serbia, (2007)European Review of Public Law / Revue Europeenne de Droit Public, vol. 19. no. 4, pp. 1077-1101.
- The Gods Must be Crazy: Does a Constitution Speak about Bioethics? (2007) 1 The Annals of the Faculty of Law Belgrade, International Edition, pp.110-132. (Published also in Serbian).
- Socio-Economic Rights in the Constitution for Europe: Between Symbolism and Legal Realism, in Rethinking Socio-Economic Rights in an Insecure World (Budapest, CEU Center for Human Rights /CEU Press, 2006), pp. 37-48.
- Towards a Common Future: Perspectives for Future Cooperation in Southeastern and Central Europe, in Europe Bound, ed. J. Jensen, (Savarija University Press, Hungary, 2003) pp. 207-220.
- A jedan razlog menja sve: kontrola ustavnosti Briselskog sporazuma u svetlu doktrine političkog pitanja [The Reason That Changes Everything: A Judicial Review of the Brussels Agreement Under the Political Question Doctrine], Hereticus, (2016), Vol. 14, No. 1/2, pp. 127-151.
- Put bez povratka? Od nacionalne države do globalnog konstitucionalizma [A Path of No Return? From the Nation State to Global Constitutionalism]: Lidija R. Basta Fleiner and Tanasije Marinković (eds.), Key Developments in Constitutionalism and Constitutional Law, Eleven International Publishing, The Hague 2014, (book review), Pravni zapisi, (2015), no.1, pp. 214-226.
- Institucionalizacija i “devitalizacija“ militantne demokratije u Srbiji: Slučaj zabrane udruženja, [Institutionalization and “Devitalization” of Militant Democracy in Serbia: The Banning of Associations]in Ustavi u vremenu krize: postjugoslovenska perspektiva, [Constitutions in Time of Crisis: Post-Yugoslav Perspective], M. Podunavac, B. Djordjević, eds. (Beograd: Fakultet političkih nauka, Udruženje za političke nauke Srbije 2014), pp. 151-172.
- Ustavno sudstvo u zemljama u tranziciji: lekcije iz uporednog prava, [Constitutional Judiciary in Transition: Lessons from Comparative Law Perspective] in Uloga i značaj ustavnog suda u očuvanju vladavine prava, [The Role and Significance of a Constitutional Court in Ensuring the Rule of Law]B. Nenadić, ed. (Beograd: Ustavni sud RS, 2013) pp. 268-289.
- Muke po Statutu: Da li će jezička dogmatizacja Ustava ukinuti političku autonomiju Vojvodine?[Passion According to the Statute: Will the Textual Dogmatization of the Constitution Abolish the Political Autonomy of Vojvodina?], (2013) Pravni zapisi, no.2, pp. 476-510.
- Ustav bez demosa: Zašto Evropska Unija (ipak) ima Ustav?[Why does the European Union already have a Constitution], (2013) Pravni zapisi (Legal Records), no. 1, pp. 27-61.
- Ubiti pticu rugalicu?Militantna demokratija u jurisprudenciji Evropskog suda za ljudska prava [To Kill a Mockingbird? Militant Democracy in the Jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights], in Militant Democracy, Then and Now, ed. Violeta Besirevic (Belgrade: Službeni glasnik & PFUUB, 2013) pp. 87-122.
- Predgovor [Preface] in Militant Democracy, Then and Now, ed. Violeta Besirevic (Belgrade: Službeni glasnik & PFUUB, 2013) pp. 9-29.
- Nova podela vlasti: (tajni) život demokratskog deficita u postupku zaključivanja međunarodnih ugovora[The New Separation of Powers: The (Secret) Life of Democratic Deficit in International Treaty-Making], inParlamentarna praksaI, M. Pajvančić and A. Popović (eds.)(Belgrade: Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, 2012) pp. 81- 103.
- Ko se boji federalne Evrope? Kritički ostvrt na „lisabonsku“ odluku Saveznog ustavnog suda Nemačke [Who's Afraid of Federal Europe? Some Critical Remarks on the German Constitutional Court's Lisbon Decision], (2011) Pravni zapisi (Legal Records), no. 1, pp. 53-79.
- Ultima ratio u suzbijanju trgovine ljudima: međunarodni i nacionalni krivičnopravni standardi gonjenja i kažnjavanja [Ultima Ratioin Fight Against Trafficking in Human Beings: International and National Criminal LawStandards], (Belgrade: ASTRA, 2010), pp. 49-59.
- Pravo na dostojanstvenu smrt [The Right to Die with Dignity] (2008), Glasnik Advokatske komore Vojvodine, no. 12, pp. 527-541.
- Trgovina ljudima u Republici Srbiji, Izveštaj za period 2001 - 2007. godine [Trafficking in Persons in the Republic of Serbia, The Report for 2001-2007], co-author with M. Andjelković et al. (Beograd: ASTRA- Akcija protiv trgovine ljudima, 2008) pp. 65-89, 147-160, 234-236, 240-242, 293-295, 303-304, 309-310.
- UNESKO i Bioetika: Zbirka osnovnih dokumenta, Predgovor [Bioethics inUNESCO: Basic Documents, Introduction] with. J. Sandor, (Budapest: UNESCO/CEU Center for Ethics and Law in Biomedicine, 2008) pp. 1-2.
- Abuse: The Dark Side of Fundamental Rights, ed. Andras Sajo, book review, Anali Pravnog fakulteta u Beogradu, 2/ 2007, pp. 185-192.
- Bogovi su pali na teme: o ustavu i bioetci [The Gods Must be Crazy: Does a Constitution Speak about Bioethics?]Anali Pravnog fakulteta u Beogradu, 2/2006, pp. 205-229.
- Krivicni zakon SR Jugoslavije –izmene i pravci buduce reforme, [Yugoslav Penal Law –Amendments and the Roads to Future Reform], (1993) 9-10 Izbor sudske prakse, pp. 5-9.
- Odgovornost za privredne prestupe i prekrsaje prema odredbama Zakona o preduzecima (1989), [Corporate Responsibility and Responsibility for Petty Offences in the Company Law] 1296 Savremena praksa (introductory article).
(In Other Languages)
- Миф о судебной реформе в Сербии, [The Myth of Judicial Reform in Serbia], (in Russian), Сравнительное конституционное обозрение2016. № 5 (114), pp. 105-116.
- Eutanasi, retten til ærverdig død og døende pasienter i Serbia, [Euthanasia, a right to die with dignity and dying patients in Serbia], (inNorwegian), (2008) Omsorg –Nordic Journal of Palliative Medicine, no. 4, pp. 35-38.